The position provides assistance to the
Anatomical and Surgical Skills Manager in the
provision of technical and administrative
activities for the MERF Anatomical and
Surgical Skills Facility to ensure compliance
with all relevant legislation, in particular the
Transplantation and Anatomy Act 1979. The
position will assist the Manager with
interactions with internal and external
stakeholders such as industry collaborators,
government bodies, hospitals, research
organisations and the community in the
promotion of the Facility. Some work will be
required on weekends and after hours to
support training workshops and courses.
The Anatomical and Surgical Skills Technician will work collaboratively with other members of the MERF and the Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation (IHBI) and with staff of the Prince Charles Hospital as required. As the position holder will work closely with IHBI,
the incumbent will hold membership of the Institute for the duration of the appointment.
This position reports to the MERF Anatomical and Surgical Skills Manager for supervision, workload management and for Performance Planning and Review (PPR).
Key responsibilities include:
• Receive, prepare and organise human anatomy materials for surgical training and research and educational activities
• Assist in specimen embalming and the preparation of material for use in the Facility.
• Assist with the maintenance and update of the Body Bequest Program database.
• Assist in co-coordinating all timetabling requests for anatomy facilities use.
• Maintain stock levels of equipment and consumables as required, and procure utilising the University financial systems.
• Ensure anatomy teaching laboratory, preparation rooms and all equipment is maintained in a clean, functional and safe state.
• Assist in planning, preparation and support of special purpose events including community engagement activities and surgical training workshops and courses.
• Assist with physiology presentations to High School students.
• Act as a nominated First Aid Officer in local area, as required.
• Other duties relevant to the level of appointment as directed by the Anatomical and Surgical Skills Manager.
Health & Safety
• Assist in maintaining safety and technical standards in activities undertaken by researchers and staff in accordance with Legislative and University requirements.
• Proactively implementing and adhering to the University’s Health & Safety policies and procedures and the obligations defined by the Workplace Health & Safety Act.
• Maintain accurate records as required by policies, for example, maintenance, health and safety, chemical and asset registers. Update manuals and protocols as required to ensure currency of information.
• Dispose of laboratory waste materials according to standard operating procedures.
Real World Capabilities
To deliver on QUT’s global, collaborative and connected vision requires a workforce that embodies the following capabilities: • Agility and openness to change • Connectivity and collaboration (intra and
inter-disciplinary) • Cultural inclusion • Digital literacy • Future-focused thinking (strategic,
innovative & design and entrepreneurial) • Global in intent and reach • Leadership of strategy, action and others • Performance and resource management
Type of appointment
This appointment will be offered on a fixed- term, full-time basis for 12 months. Part-time arrangements (minimum 12.75 hours per week) may be considered.
Prince Charles Hospital (MERF)
Selection Criteria 1. Education, training and/or relevant
experience equivalent to the completion of an associate diploma in human anatomy or mortuary practices or working towards completion of Bachelor of Science degree with relevant experience in handling and working with cadaveric material.
2. Demonstrated genuine interest and knowledge in science and human anatomy and demonstrated experience in laboratory such as anatomical/ histological and/or similar environment.
3. Demonstrated resilience and ability to work respectfully in donor programs.
4. Demonstrated knowledge, experience and ability to work safely with potentially hazardous biologicals and chemicals relevant to the cadaver and anatomy area.
5. Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively connect and collaborate to achieve team based outcomes in complex and changing environment at times with minimal supervision.
6. Demonstrated digital literacy including the ability to use a variety of software packages including Microsoft Office suit, email and internet.
In addition to the above the incumbent must either be a holder of current Senior First Aid qualification is preferred or be willing to obtain this qualification. The person is also required to have current unrestricted Queensland driver’s licence.
Salary and Benefits
The classification for this position is Higher Education Worker Level 4 (HEW4) which has an annual salary range of $57,276 to $60,258.
Beyond personal and professional fulfilment, a career at QUT brings a broad range of tangible benefits. With competitive remuneration and 17% superannuation, the University offers real and generous benefits.
QUT is a high quality and flexible organisation that is proud of its excellent employment conditions which include but are not limited to:
• Reduced working year scheme • Parental leave provisions • Study support encompassing leave and
financial assistance • Comprehensive professional
development • Salary Packaging
Further benefits can be found at the Working at QUT page. Information for applicants
The position is open to applicants who have unrestricted work rights in Australia for the duration of the fixed-term appointment. Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
For further information about the position, please contact Matthew Wissemann, Anatomical and Surgical Skills Manager on (07) 3138 6956; or for further information about working at QUT contact Messeh Dors, HR Advisor on (07) 3138 4149.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply, please visit www.qut.edu.au/jobs for reference number 16473.
When applying for this position we encourage you to upload your response to the selection criteria.
Applications close 2 November 2016
Anatomical and Surgical Skills Technician, Medical Engineering Research Facility (MERF)Queensland University of Technology - Brisbane, QLD
Either be a holder of current Senior First Aid. Other duties relevant to the level of. Education, training and/or relevant. Applications close 2 November 2016....Read More4 days ago
Assistant Finance Officer, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation (IHBI)Queensland University of Technology - Brisbane, QLD
Relevant area, preferably Finance or. your current resume; Subsequent relevant experience. Equivalent to the completion of an....Read More2 months ago
Logistics Assistant, Facilities Management DepartmentQueensland University of Technology - Brisbane, QLD
A current drivers’ licence for a “C” Class. Range of duties carried out on each site. Undertake relief or back up duties within....Read More2 months ago
Senior Research Assistant, School of NursingQueensland University of Technology - Brisbane, QLD
National nursing workforce and health. Relevant experience and/or an. Equivalent combination of. Travel for meetings, education and training,....Read More2 months ago
Partnership Manager, QUT Business SchoolQueensland University of Technology - Brisbane, QLD
Postgraduate qualifications in a relevant. Colleagues, current and potential external. Field together with considerable relevant....Read More2 months ago