The North Carlton Railway Station Neighbourhood House aim is to improve the quality of community life by providing educational, recreational & health programs to local residents.
We are seeking a person that has early childhood qualifications to facilitate our Multicultural Playgroup and Parent Support Program. This program is to support parents and pre-school aged children. The program has a focus on socialisation, cognition, sensory, physical and emotional development preschool activities for children and to engage with the parents. This program is funded through the generous suppport of the R.E.Ross Trust.
This Multicultural Playgroup is the first point of contact for families from the Princes Hill Public Housing Estate (which the house is directly opposite). This means families are able to engage, make friends, children are able to take part in stimulating activities they otherwise will not have the opportunity to do so, living in confined spaces. These families are predominately of refugee backgrounds, CALD (Culturally and Linguistically Diverse) families and or from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- To plan and facilitate our Supported Multicultural Playgroup program which runs during school terms, including group music, story times and play activities
- To plan and provide a stimulating, positive and enjoyable learning environment for families and children.
- To promote and support the participation of parents in the playgroups including the planning, evaluation, set up, snack preparation and pack up.
- Be respectful, inclusive and mindful of diverse cultural and family structures and ensure that the program and environment is suitable and accessible to all.
- To work closely with local Early Childhood services and City of Yarra Playgroup Dept. to identify strategies to welcome and include families into the playgroups.
- Be responsible for providing safe equipment and a safe environment.
- Undertake home visits to support parents in attending the playgroup if necessary
- Maintain group attendance records, weekly feedback forms and other records as required.
- Supervise and support other paid and volunteer staff working in the supported playgroup program.
- To assist in the evaluation of the playgroups, and provide reports to the Manager when required.
- Arrange excursions and outings with the group.
- Undertake other related activities as required.
- Current Working with Children Check and Police Check
- Early Childhood tertiary qualifications.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills with ability to liaise with a broad range of people and stakeholders.
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively within a team environment to achieve outcomes.
- Ability to communicate and engage with parents and children from CALD and other disadvantaged communities
- Willingness to participate in music and play activities
- Understanding of confidentiality expectations in working with families
A position description is attached below.
- Knowledge of local area and service system
- Second Language other than English
- First Aid
Supporting materials Postion Description - Multicultural Playgroup Facilitator -2016.docx
1 weeks ago
Multicultural Playgroup FacilitatorNorth Carlton Railway Neighbourhood House - Melbourne, VIC
Current Working with Children Check and Police Check. This program is to support parents and pre-school aged children....Read More 1 weeks ago
ManagerNorth Carlton Railway Neighbourhood House - Melbourne, VIC
A tertiary qualification in Community Development, Education or other relevant tertiary discipline is desirable....Read More 10 months ago